The biggest deception in which millions of parents take part during the Christmas time, is telling fascinating stories about Santa Claus to their kids. But how many people do know about the reality of Santa Claus? In this article we shall present you with ten unknown facts about Santa Claus.
[box_dark]Behind- the-scene Facts about Santa[/box_dark]
- The first unknown fact about Santa Claus is that the original name of Santa Claus was Nicholas and he was born in the town of Patara on the South West coast of Turkey in 270 A.D. and it was under Lycian rule at that time. Nicholas was the bishop of Myra which was a town situated further up the coast from Patara and now is known as Demre.
- Another unknown fact about Santa Claus is that after the demise of Nicholas’s parents he got a large fortune from them and became a wealthy man. But he used to climb on the roofs of people’s houses and drop coins down the chimney because he wanted to help the poor people and keep it a secret from all.
- After his death a memorial was built in the town but he got the holiest titles Saint Nicholas after many years of his death. Children remembered him for giving them nuts, fruit and sweets for good behavior.
- One of the interesting unknown facts about Santa Claus is that he has nothing to do with Christmas. 6th of December was celebrated as the feast of Saint Nicholas and in later years a bishop declared 25th of December as the birth of Jesus. Along with time these two celebrations began to fuse together and Santa Claus became a part of Christmas day traditions.
- In 1773, in a story that appeared in a New York City newspaper the first anglicizing of the name Santa Claus was used.
- According to a satire published in 1809, Santa slid down a chimney.
- The present image of Santa Claus as the jolly man in a red suit was illustrated by a wide Coco-cola campaign in the year 1931.
- Santa was a bachelor till 1849 when in a short story by James Rees A Christmas Legend the first mention of Mrs. Claus was found.
- James Edgar was the first department store Santa. In 1890, he came up with the idea of dressing up as Santa Claus as a marketing tool to attract children from all over the place.